Welcome to Just A List...

Inquiring minds want to know! What healthy suggestions are on the list today? Stop by frequently for the lastest listing of healthy tips, ideas and resources.

An index listing of great videos is off to the right, what not, put up your feet, and stay to watch a movie!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

If We Only Had 100 People On Earth

What if...
If we could shrink the earth's population to precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

Read on what our world would look like!
THERE WOULD BE:


57 Asians, 21 Europeans, 8 Africans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south

52 would be female, 48 would be male
70 would be non-white, 30 would be white
70 would be non-Christian, 30 would be Christian
89 would be heterosexual, 11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition, 1 would be near death, 1 would be near birth
1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education, 1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent. The following is also something to ponder:

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death... you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep... you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.

If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.

-Author Unknown

I'm not sure when this was written or how accuate it can be considered stastically, but it does give me some very important thoughts to ponder, especially when I am having what seems to be one of those god-awful days where I think everything is going wrong.

Just the other day I was having a fit 'cause I couldn't find my car keys and the delay was making me crazy about possibly being late for an appointment. Reading over this list helps put my very itsy bitsy problems into perspective. I should be glad for these little grains of sand snags that crop up, and be more helpful to those experiencing more difficult times.
.

2 comments:

Robin Plan said...

Ok I feel really bad now for being such a crab when I had to work over the Easter weekend. At least I have a job, health, my family and so much more...
Thanks Susan for helping me appreciate what I have.
Robin

Susan & Scott Anderson said...

Don't feel bad Robin..we all have our frustrations, they just become more easy to swallow when we top them off with Gratitude..I think it is all about learning to spend more time in the gratitude zone, and I think you do that very well:) Susan