Welcome to Just A List...

Inquiring minds want to know! What healthy suggestions are on the list today? Stop by frequently for the lastest listing of healthy tips, ideas and resources.

An index listing of great videos is off to the right, what not, put up your feet, and stay to watch a movie!

Thursday, March 20, 2008

What Is Your Favorite Home Remedy?

THE MODERN DAY HOME REMEDY KIT
We all have our favorites that we would not be caught without in regards to our home remedy kit. To think back, in my grandmother's day, home remedies were all there were!

One image I can still see very clearly is my Italian Grandmom in her dress and apron, going to the parks and open fields in Philadelphia, looking for dandelions and wild blackberries. The dandelions were used as a dinner veggie and to make wine, the blackberries to make pies. Of course this was way back in the day before pesticides became an issue. Imagine my surprise when I first saw dandelions sold in a food market, and they actually wanted money for those weeds! Truth be told, dandelions are still one of my favorite greens to eat.

So how about helping me out here and sharing one of your favorite home remedies to add to the list. Tell us about one of your favorites and how you have used it. I'll start and hope others will join in as well! This is tough to widdle it down to one...

COLD PRESSED CASTOR OIL
I always have several bottles of cold pressed castor oil on hand, for both myself and to share with others. I came across this about 15 years ago when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and it is what helped me create a healing. It is great for any kind of inflammation. I apply it directly to the skin. I never take it internally. It is a great skin conditioner, and helps with muscle aches and pains. For more information on how to use it, see the article Castor Oil: A Wealth of Information


Be the next person to add your home remedy to the list

4 comments:

Robin Plan said...

Great Post Susan...
I love Coconut Oil. I use it for dry skin, hair conditioner, feed to my dogs to keep them smelling better than a dog, of course I cook with it, it will get rid of skin tags like moles, heals cuts better than antibiotic cream and helps settle an upset stomach. Can use it as toothpaste in a crunch. I love Coconut Oil...
Robin

Susan & Scott Anderson said...

Thanks Robin- I use coconut oil too but have not used it as an antibiotic cream or to settle an upset stomach...will give these a try..How do you feed it to your dogs? Mix it in with thier food? Wonder if my cat would go for it? Thanks for these great suggestions.
My favorite is coconut butter, yum!

Robin Plan said...

Susan I feed it to the dogs just off the spoon, they love it. You have to build up to about a teaspoon a day per 30lbs. The cat isn't as easy to feed, he smells it and turns his nose up. Since the oil melts easily at about 78 degrees I can add a tiny bit to the cat's paw and he licks it off.
Happy Easter
Robin

Susan & Scott Anderson said...

Wow, I never thought of putting it on the cat's paws...what a great idea...thanks..Susan