Welcome to Just A List...

Inquiring minds want to know! What healthy suggestions are on the list today? Stop by frequently for the lastest listing of healthy tips, ideas and resources.

An index listing of great videos is off to the right, what not, put up your feet, and stay to watch a movie!

Friday, February 15, 2008

Preparing for Spring: Plant a Tree

HOW TO CHOOSE, PLANT AND CARE FOR TREES

Well it won't be too long before we will be crawling out of hibernation from the winter months and be bursting with the energy of spring. Ahh! the sights and smells just bring me to a happy place!.

Plan Ahead..Plant a Tree

Choose a Tree That is Right for Your Needs! Do you want more shade? Are you trying to create a barrier between you and another property or street? Are you looking for a decorative punch to add to the landscape? Do you want a fruit bearing tree? Ask your local nursery for advice on what grows best in your area.

Give Your Tree Plenty of Room! We have all seen those trees planted to closely together, making it look like you are living in a jungle. Remember your tree needs plenty of room to grow and send out its roots.

Dig the Right Size Hole! The hole you dig for your tree should be at least twice the size of the root ball. Lossen the soil an additional six to eight inches in the bottom of the hole to give the roots a better surface to dig into.

Remove Wrapping Around the Roots! Also spread those roots out as well. Place the tree in the hole, and spread the roots out again. Set the tree in the ground one or two inches deeper than it was planted in the nursery. Fill the hole with crumbed dirt mixed with good compost if you have it. Tamp the dirt firmly around the roots.

Place a Two-Inch Layer of Compost! Or peat moss on top of the planting. Water throughly.Do not fertilize the first year.

Each year as I stand in my gardens around the end of May or beginning of June, I say to myself, "Next Year, I am starting my planning early, in February, so come March, I have an idea about what I am doing." Finally, I think I am managing to follow this train of thought. Instead of flying by the seat of my pants, I am doing some garden planning this year.

What do you do? Do you have a garden? Are you into landscaping your property? Do you have any suggestions of things you have done well that work great?
.

No comments: