Welcome to Just A List...

Inquiring minds want to know! What healthy suggestions are on the list today? Stop by frequently for the lastest listing of healthy tips, ideas and resources.

An index listing of great videos is off to the right, what not, put up your feet, and stay to watch a movie!

Sunday, February 3, 2008

So You Think Your Avoiding Aspartame?

By now most health conscious people are aware of the dangers of aspartame, the history of how it was pushed through for approval, and the common products to avoid using.

The common product list includes your diet beverages, sugarless gums, and mints to name a few of typically used dialy product. With the diligence of a detective I check the labeling of suspected products, but then let my guard down on other items that I just would not associate with containing aspartame.

Below is a list of some of the unsuspecting products.....wonder if you will be as surprised as I was

  • Dimetap Cold and Allergy Chewable Tablets
  • Equate Chewable Vitamins Animal-Shaped (with Iron)
  • Sugar Free Metamucil
  • Centrum,Jr vitamins contain aspartame.
  • Childrens TYLENOL acetaminophen Fruit Flavored Chewable Tablets
  • Alka-Seltzer Plus Night-time Cold Medicine
  • CVS Childrens Non-Aspirin Pain Reliever
  • RITE AID Childrens Aceteminophen Non-Aspirin Pain Reliever
  • WEGMANS Childrens Chewable Acetaminophen

Take a look at the more complete product list. Want to add to the list? Pass along your suggestions of products to ditch.

2 comments:

Paul Eilers said...

My wife came back from making a quick run to the grocery store. In her shopping bag was a box of Flintstones vitamins. I remember taking them when I was a kid. She had bought them for Brady, our ten month-old baby boy.

I asked her, "Are these synthetic?"

She replied, "I really don't know." She had more or less grabbed them as an impulse item while shopping for a few other things.

So I went to the computer and opened up the website, StayingAlivePress.com. I then clicked on the section titled, "3 Things to Know About a Supplement Before You Buy..." and printed it out.

Next I went and looked on the back of the Flintstones box to see the list of ingredients. The first thing that jumped out at me was Aspartame!

For good health, do you want to be giving your children cheap chemicals?

Susan & Scott Anderson said...

Hi Paul...who would have thought we have to be so vigilant in selecting our vitamins, esp for the kids!

I have such a hard time convincing my teenage daugthers to not chew sugarless gum...I refuse to buy it for them, I try to educate them about it, but I still find the empty gums wrappers sitting around...then they amazed me by one of their comments..."Mom, you basically can't buy non-sugarless gum"...next time I was at the grocery store I checked out the gum aisles...and they were right...you have very few options in the gum and mint category that isn't sugarless...

It is so important for us to do our homework!